Speech Therapy funding in BC, Canada to Hire a Speech Pathologist

Funding Opportunities in BC for Speech Therapy

To start speech therapy services you do not need a referral from a physician. Self referral is enough to get started. Speech and language services are not covered through MSP. See below for a list of funding options and to see if you are eligible. 



speech therapy funding in BC, CanadaOn a service fee basis, speech-language pathologists working in the private sector offer services. Individuals and families may be expected to pay some fee for these services or approve a funding source to bill the speech-language pathologists.

As the duration of the assessment differs depending on client to client (depend on client age, individual participation ability, and communication problems). At the same time, the therapy suggestions vary, the fees depend on the duration of the session and the number of participants. The payments include the patient’s cost and the planning, preparation, and charting “behind the scenes” required for each session.

Many funding support programs are available to assist families in receiving language and speech therapy. These financing programs/options also provide requirements for eligibility, including assessments. Funding options help families pay for a program that enhances their children’s communication, social and emotional, life, and academic skills.

Possible funding sources for Speech-Language Pathologist Services include:

Your extended health plan:

Examine your insurance provider how they cover the service of speech-language pathology (speech-language assessment or therapy) program. Several organizations provide medical insurance plans covering rehabilitation programs, Such as speech, language, and swallowing Therapy. Pacific Blue Cross and Great-West Life are examples of extended health care providers.


Worksafe BC offers rehabilitation services, including speech therapy, communication, and swallowing Therapy for workers who have been injured in the workplace.


ICBC covers access to recovery facilities, such as speech, language, and swallowing Therapy, for those who are involved in vehicle accidents.

Government funding sources for children’s services

canadian speech therapy fundingThe Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) offers the following programs to qualifying clients with individual support for language pathology speech services:

  • Post-adoption – Discuss the Post Adoption Assistance Program (PAA) with social workers. Children with disabilities, adopted by the families through Children and Family Development Ministry, are provided with funding. This support includes speech therapy funding.
  • The At Home Program (AHP): At the Home Fund, parents are compensating with funds for the cost of looking at the children with significant disabilities. The program provides funding for speech therapy, including respite and medical care.
  • Autism Funding Program The Autism Funding Unit offers grants to kids with autism to access educational services, such as speech, language, and physical Therapy. Children between the ages of six are entitled to earn up to $22,000 a year. While Children over the age of six are allowed to earn up to $6,000 a year. Formal autism tests are required to be able to access resources.


The below-mentioned organizations/charities shall determine family eligibility and provide specific grants for disabled children if the criteria are met:

  • Variety – A Children’s CharityVariety offers financial support to families of children with disabilities so that they can access: healthcare services, including speech therapy, facilities, and recreational programs. 
  • CKNW Orphan’s FundThe CKNW children’s Fund offers to fund families with financial problems so that they can access: healthcare services, including speech therapy, specialized tools, scholarships, and summer camp sponsorships.
  • Special Needs Child Care SubsidyThis grant from the Ministry of Children and Family Welfare aims to help make child care more accessible for families of children with disabilities.